I had a lovely time the weekend of Halloween, when I wasn't busy thinking about all the work I had to do for the following week (midterm week!). A take-home midterm for the 6th, a midterm exam on the 3rd, a 300 page book to read for the 17th, and a paper for the 17th.

Despite the fact that it's nearing winter, I somehow managed to justify the purchase of a new dress and a large scarf that I plan to use as a sarong next summer. I know--I'm really good at planning ahead. I also bought a last-minute Halloween costume--an adorable purple witch's hat, which was a big hit. Apparently zombie costumes are popular among the Catalans though. I probably saw at least a dozen of them.

Here's a picture of the hat I wore. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the whole outfit, not that it was anything extraordinary. It was, however, pretty sparkly.
On Sunday night, E invited me to her apartment, and I helped them make panellets! Panellets are these traditional Catalan sweets, as pictured below. I had a really great time.
First you dip a ball of (sweet) potato in egg whites and then you roll that in almonds or pine nuts. Or you could mix the ball with shredded coconut.
After that, I rushed back over to my homestay--my host mom held a dinner party in which we had tortilla de patatas, roasted chestnuts, panellets (my favorites are the almond ones), sweet potatos, pan con tomate, ham, and pork.
She invited seven people to the dinner. Therefore, after introductions, I couldn't remember anyone's name. They were really nice though!
These are the panellets my host mom made (basically almond paste or potato and chocolate or almonds or pine nuts).
I'd never had roasted chestnuts before! They were pretty good.
I actually had a ridiculous amount of panellets that week...On Tuesday, our program director gave us some, so I got to try some other types such as coffee!

Here's to celebrating La Castanyada on Halloween!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not stealthy in the slightest.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.